R Lopez de Heredia
In the mythical city of Haro, capital of La Rioja Alta, perhaps where the extraordinary combination of climate goodness and the severity of the land is best, are the Bodegas López de Heredia, the oldest in Haro and one Of the first three of La Rioja.
In 1877, as a result of the anxieties created in the middle of the century by the arrival of the French wine merchants (who came to La Rioja to solve the problems caused by phylloxera in their vineyards), Don Rafael Lopez de Heredia y Landeta, a profound connoisseur and good student of these professionals, decides to follow in his footsteps and begins to plan and build what is now the winery.
So wise and meticulous, that this kind of wine cathedral, like the authentic ones, is still unfinished and perhaps it comes from that spirit still latent of the founder the sensation that one breathes, when stepping on its ships, of having traveled backwards in the weather.
Between 1913 and 1914, Don Rafael Lopez de Heredia y Landeta, at the same time as cementing its industrial facilities, carried out the plantation "Viña Tondonia", giving origin to the best known product of the winery. Viña Tondonia is a beautiful vineyard of more than 100 hectares, located on the right bank of the river Ebro, where the most typical Rioja vineyards are grown. López de Heredia also has three other vineyards, also located in the upper Rioja, called "Viña Cubillo", "Viña Bosconia" and "Viña Zaconia".