Wines from the Henri Abele winery
Henri Abelé was founded in 1757 by Théodore Vander Veken, being one of the pioneers in the elaboration and diffusion of the champagne; Therefore, its history could be confused with the one of the own champagne. The champagnes of Henri Abelé were marketed and considered drinks of kings, being the official suppliers of the courts of Spain, Germany and Belgium towards the end of century XVIII. Nowadays, with more than 250 years of history, it is the third oldest winery of Champagne and is in the hands of Catalan group Freixenet.
After the first world war, Henri Abelé returns to Reims and is actively concerned about the heritage of his city, especially the cathedral. It was then that they founded the Society of Friends of the Cathedral, still active today and controlled by Henri Abelé de Freixenet, which allows to finance a part of each of the restoration campaigns of the cathedral.
The winery, always marked by prestige and innovation, contributed to make improvements on the "champenoise method", such as the removal of bottles in desks to be clarified of their yeasts before degusting or freezing lees in the neck of the bottle . They decided not to expand too much to preserve its essence, although it already has a reasonable size to be able to control the quality of all the champagnes of Henry Abelé.
The feminine image that shows the brut champagne of Henry Abelé like the rest of the range in its collars is "L'Ange au sourire" (the smiling angel) or "Sourire de Reims", sculpture restored by His Society and become the symbol of Reims and his rebirth; For that reason, in 1918, it became the emblem of Maison Abelé, its protective home, wanting to represent in its champagnes the spirit of perfection, as the interest for the conservation of the knowledge and wisdom that make up the pillars of the philosophy of This great Maison.